Diego Simeone has told his Atletico Madrid side to forget last season s UEFA Champions League final defeat to Real Madrid before the city rivals do battle in Tuesday s quarter-final first leg.
Atletico were heading for a first Champions League title in the 2013-14 showpiece in Lisbon until Sergio Ramos headed home an injury-time leveller that set Real on their way to a 4-1 extra-time victory.
Unsurprisingly, Atleti head coach Simeone was asked about that defeat in his pre-match news conference on Monday, but the Argentinian wants his team to focus on achieving something special this season.
That [comparisons to last season s final] is normal, for both sides, he said.
[But] we need to focus on what is going to happen tomorrow. What happened in …
Harry Maguire has hit out at the minority of supporters who jeered Jordan Henderson over the international break – insisting “proper England fans don’t boo players”.
Henderson was booed off the Wembley pitch during Friday’s 1-0 friendly win over Australia, admitting it was “disappointing” to be on the receiving end of a negative reaction.
Eyebrows were raised when the 33-year-old swapped his role as Liverpool skipper for the Saudi Pro League, joining Steven Gerrard’s Al-Ettifaq in a controversial £12million deal during the summer.
The midfielder had been a high-profile supporter of LGBTQ+ rights during his time at Anfield and last month apologised for any hurt he caused by moving to a country where homosexuality is illegal.
There were mur…
Benfica have dismissed speculation linking them with a summer move for Middlesbrough striker Afonso Alves. The Brazilian has misfired at The Riverside after arriving from Dutch club Heerenveen in a record £12million move in January 2008.
In the face of persistent reports throughout the week, Benfica would like to clarify that it never asked about Afonso Alves, read a statement on the Lisbon-based club s official website. Therefore, Benfica expects the focus of recent reports to end.
…
James Rodriguez is likely to leave Real Madrid next summer, according to .
The Colombian playmaker is currently out of action, still recovering from a knee problem he suffered playing for his country in November, and he certainly won t play again this year. In his absence, others have made huge strides and managed to push him way down the pecking order and further away from coach Zinedine Zidane s plans. And with Real still looking to strengthen their lines, his chances of regaining a spot in the team once he s fit again seem very slim indeed.
James spent the last two seasons on loan at Bayern Munich, after which the Bavarians opted against triggering the option they had to make the transfer permanent. He consequently returned to the Santiago Bernabeu and started this c…
Zinedine Zidane lavished praise on Pep Guardiola after Real Madrid were drawn against the ex-Barcelona coach s Manchester City side in the Champions League.
Two presumed contenders will square off in a highly anticipated last-16 tie, with the first leg to be held at the Santiago Bernabeu on February 26.
Guardiola welcomed the challenge, saying it would be special to share a touchline with Zidane, a man he dreamed of playing alongside.
The Frenchman returned the favour ahead of Madrid s LaLiga game against Athletic Bilbao, going so far as to call Guardiola the world s leading coach.
Yes [it will be special]. I played against him many times, Zidane said on Saturday.
I respected him as a player and I respect him as a coach. I think he is the best…
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp claims the nomadic career of Chelsea defender David Luiz could be chronicled into a book.
The Brazil international returned to Stamford Bridge on the final day of the transfer window for a reported fee of £34million, just two years after being sold to Paris Saint-Germain for £50m a record sum for a defender.
Luiz has won league titles and domestic cups with Benfica, PSG and Chelsea, as well as the Champions League and Europa League with the Premier League side, despite being dogged by criticism for some erratic performances over the years.
Klopp considers his career to be a remarkable one but insists the 29-year-old poses a formidable obstacle for his forwards to overcome.
I think it s an interesting and impressive career. …
Borussia Dortmund midfielder Sebastian Rode added weight to reports Lucien Favre is set to take over from Peter Stoger at the club, saying the players fully expect to have a new coach next season .
Stoger has guided Dortmund from eighth place to third in the Bundesliga since taking over from Peter Bosz in December 2017, but his contract is due to expire in June and Nice coach Favre is favourite to replace him.
Ahead of next Saturday s final day trip to Hoffenheim, where Dortmund need a point to secure Champions League football next season, Rode said the mood at the club suggests Stoger will not be signing a new deal.
That s what we assume, he told Sky Sport News. The way he expresses himself in the locker room, we fully expect to have a new coach next season…
Goalkeeper Pepe Reina has returned to Napoli after agreeing a mutual termination of his contract at Bayern Munich.
The former Liverpool star made 43 appearances for the Serie A club on loan in 2013-14 before heading back to Anfield and promptly signing for Bayern.
However, the 32-year-old played only three games for the Bundesliga champions – and was sent off in his last appearance – as he served as back-up to Manuel Neuer.
As such, Bayern agreed to terminate his contract, with their deputy chairman Jan-Christian Dreesen paying tribute to the Spaniard.
Pepe Reina has asked us to release him from his contract because at Napoli he has the chance to play on a regular basis, Dreesen said in a statement.
In both a sporting and human sense, he was…
Porto have confirmed Jackson Martinez s move to Atletico Madrid has taken a step closer after the Liga club met the release clause in his contract.
The striker has been widely tipped to leave the Stadio Dragao after three years in Portugal, with Atletico, Arsenal and Milan all linked with a move.
However, last week the Spanish club emerged as favourites to land the 28-year-old, with Martinez telling reporters at the Copa America he would sign a four-year deal in Madrid.
And Porto have now confirmed to the Portuguese Securities and Market Commission that Atletico have activated the €35million clause in his contract, paving the way for talks to begin over his transfer.
Martinez has scored 92 goals in 136 appearances for Porto, helping them to one Primeir…
Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho believes his decision to omit Iker Casillas was a success despite his side s 3-2 loss to Malaga.
Mourinho s selection of Antonio Adan between the sticks instead of the club captain caused many fans to raise eyebrows, and Real subsequently lost at La Rosaleda Stadium.
But Mourinho played down the defeat and hailed the influence of coaches in modern day football.
Maybe it looked like a bad week, but the outcome was fantastic, he told reporters in the United Arab Emirates.
Football changes greatly, but there is one thing that doesn t – the teams continue to be picked by the coaches.
Real return to Champions League action in February against 2010/11 finalists Manchester United in the last 16 of the competition.