Marcelo Bielsa says his Leeds United future has been resolved ahead of Saturday s opening Premier League match against Manchester United.
The 66-year-old has spent the past three years at Elland Road and guided Leeds to a ninth-placed finish in the top flight last season after earning promotion the previous campaign.
Bielsa signed a one-year contract extension on the eve of the 2020-21 campaign and now looks set to stay on for a further 12 months.
Speaking at a news conference ahead of this weekend s trip to Old Trafford, Bielsa said: The contract situation is one that is already resolved. The subject is resolved.
Pressed on how long the contract will run, Bielsa, through a translator, replied: One year is habitual.
Leeds spent big last year ahe…
Thomas Tuchel is adamant Romelu Lukaku will make a significant impact for Chelsea upon his return from injury, but insists the Blues must be patient with the striker.
Club-record signing Lukaku has netted four goals in 12 appearances since returning from Inter for a second spell at Stamford Bridge.
But, the Belgium international has missed the past month with an ankle injury.
He returned as a late substitute in the weekend draw with former club Manchester United, and could start against Watford on Wednesday.
Tuchel has no doubt of the quality that Lukaku will contribute to the Blues cause when fully back up to speed.
But the head coach insists that for now, patience with the 28-year-old is a virtue.
Love this group.
— Chelsea …
West Brom midfielder Youssuf Mulumbu says he is open for a move away from the Premier League club in the off-season.
The combative former DR Congo international impressed for Roy Hodgson s former side last season as the Baggies achieved a top-10 finish in the English top flight.
Mulumbu remains confident of securing a move away from the Hawthorns, and revealed that he has already spoken with Tottenham and Newcastle about a possible transfer.
We have already started talking to teams like Newcastle and Tottenham, Mulumbu told Mercato 365.
For now, I m leaving it all in the hands of my agent and I hope to have good surprises on my return from vacation.
The 25 year-old has gone on to become a key figure in the West Brom side since making his loan …
France forward Antoine Griezmann insists he is not the anti-Karim Benzema and has called for the Real Madrid striker to given another chance with Les Bleus.
Benzema was not considered for selection at Euro 2016 due to his alleged role in a blackmail attempt surrounding international team-mate Mathieu Valbuena.
Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann has, conversely, been praised for his conduct on and off the pitch.
But Griezmann admits he too has made mistakes in the past, notably when he was banned from playing for the national team at any age level for 13 months after being involved in an incident with France s Under-21 side in November 2012, visiting a nightclub in between two important games.
And Griezmann told Parisien Magazine: What does it mean to be th…
Ross Wallace is set to be released by Burnley following the club s relegation from the Premier League.
The 29-year-old, whose contract expires at the end of the season and will not be renewed, has made165 appearances for the Turf Moor outfit since arriving from Preston North End in 2010, scoring 13 goals.
It s a sad day for me to be leaving Burnley, he said. I have thoroughly enjoyed five terrific years at the club and made many friends.
I would like thank the manager, his staff, the players and the supporters for all their backing and I wish the club every success in the future.
Veteran defender Michael Duff, meanwhile, has entered negotiations over a new contract.
Wallace s departure follows the announcement earlier this week that Steven…
One Direction star Niall Horan has revealed how he spent four months training with Chelsea.
The Irish singer was invited to spend time at the Premier League club by then-manager Jose Mourinho.
Horan explained he trained at Chelsea s Cobham training ground as part of his recovery from a knee injury, in order to prepare for a One Direction world tour.
Jose great man, Horan told talkSPORT. I really enjoyed his company.
I got to know him when I had my knee reconstructed about three or four seasons ago. I needed to have some rehab done to get back on tour this was December and I had to be back on tour in May and I d basically had a knee reconstruction.
I had Jose Mourinho s details from when me and the One Direction lads went to visit the Real Madr…
More goals than LaLiga and Ligue 1, a three-way title race and wanton abandon of defensive ideals. This is Serie A, but not as we know it.
This is a season in which bottom-club Pescara went months without a victory, losing two eight-goal encounters, and then hammered Genoa 5-0. We ve seen Fiorentina net five in 33 minutes and Palermo, by far the lowest scorers in the division, win 4-3 on the road (Genoa, again) thanks to two goals in the dying embers.
Even Juventus have fuelled their latest title bulldozer with a formation change that has seen Massimiliano Allegri play two forwards and Mario Mandzukic on the left wing. Nobody expected me to actually do it! Allegri admitted. I am not much of a theorist, but every now and then I come up with a mad idea and try it on the pi…
Gareth Southgate joked he is glad England s supporters were booing opposition players rather than their own after Virgil van Dijk was jeered during the Nations League semi-final.
Five days on from lifting the Champions League trophy with club side Liverpool, Netherlands centre-back Van Dijk was targeted by England s travelling fans every time he touched the ball in Thursday s match in Guimaraes.
But rather than join any condemnation of his side s supporters, Southgate feels it can be considered a positive that opposition players are being singled out instead of his own men, as was the case during a World Cup qualifier in Malta in 2017.
I m happier they re booing the opposition now than when they booed our players when we started, he said ahead of Sunday s third…
Antonio Conte may keep his job at Chelsea by knocking Barcelona out of the Champions League, according to the club s former manager Ruud Gullit.
Conte s future at Stamford Bridge is believed to be uncertain, with Chelsea making a poor attempt at defending their Premier League title.
Conte has indicated he will see out his contract, which runs to 2019, although the Italian has regularly spoken of returning to his homeland.
Italian Football Federation (FIGC) vice-commissioner Alessandro Costacurta has confirmed Conte is on the shortlist to be the permanent new national team coach, the 48-year-old having led the Azzurri from 2014 to 2016.
Former Netherlands international Gullit managed Chelsea from 1996 to 1998, when the Dutchman was sacked, despite leading…
Liverpool have accounted for four of the 11 nominations for The Best FIFA men s player award.
The Premier League champions have Virgil van Dijk, the 2019 runner-up to Lionel Messi in this category, recognised along with Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah and Thiago Alcantara, who joined in the last transfer window after winning the treble with Bayern Munich.
Messi and two-time award winner Cristiano Ronaldo are also on the shortlist along with Paris Saint-Germain forwards Neymar and Kylian Mbappe.
Robert Lewandowski is among the favourites to win the award, with Manchester City playmaker Kevin De Bruyne and Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos the other nominees.
FIFA confirmed last week its The Best awards will go ahead as a virtual event on December 17 despite Franc…